The Autism Resource Team (ART) is a designated multidisciplinary team that is a part of the existing Durham District School Board supports for students with Autism Spectrum Disorder. The ART team consists of staff from the psychological services team, a Special Education facilitator and a member of the Speech/Language Pathology team.
The mandate of the ART is to:
- Provide and coordinate training and resources to mobilize knowledge in the system regarding Autism Spectrum Disorder emphasizing Applied Behavioral Analysis principles and implementation of PPM140 including: Characteristics of Autism, tructured Teaching Foundations, Structure & Beyond Series: Communication, Curriculum, Social Skills, ABLS-R overview, Transition Planning, Facilitate access and use of Autism Resource Lending and Learning Centre, Professional development sessions in partnership with Kinark, SSP (School Support Program) including: Introduction to ASD Series, Functional Behaviour Analysis, and ASD and Peer Awareness.
- Provide lead support for transitioning of students from the regional Autism Intervention Program to our schools through the "Connections for Students" service.
- Collaborate with school teams and area teams to support and understand the student with Autism Spectrum Disorder through observation, discussion, demonstration, and the provision of resources/strategies to assist with programming concerns and/or confirm existing best practices. The team accepts referrals from the area teams on behalf of the school.
- Provide support to the Durham District School Board Structured Learning Classes in partnership with the area and school team.
- Facilitate parent engagement
- Liaise with ASD community service partners.
download an ART information brochure here
ABA Matters is a monthly newsletter, created by the Autism Resource Team, that will provide the reader with information to support students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and information that supports all students. The information, resources, media links, and best practice tips and strategies are founded on Applied Behavioural Analysis (ABA) principles in PPM 140.
ABA Newsletter - November 2015
ABA Newsletter - January 2015
For further information, please contact the:
Autism Resource Team
905-666-5500 ext. 5395
1-800-265-3968 ext. 5395