Some characteristics of a school with a positive learning climate are:
- Students and staff both feel safe, and are safe;
- Healthy and inclusive relationships are promoted;
- Students are encouraged to be positive leaders in their school community;
- All education partners, including students, are actively engaged;
- Bullying prevention, awareness-raising strategies and intervention for students and staff are reinforced through programs that address discrimination based on such factors as age, race, sexual orientation, gender, faith, disability, ethnicity and socio-economic disadvantage;
- Improvement of student achievement is emphasized.
A comprehensive approach, that includes all members of the school community, fosters efforts to ensure that schools are safe and welcoming environments for everyone. This type of approach is effective in leading to systemic changes that will benefit all students and the broader community.
PPM 144, Bully Prevention and Intervention
PPM 145, Progressive Discipline and Promoting
Positive Student Behaviour