Parent and Community involvement is very important in supporting the success of all of our students, from our youngest learners in Kindergarten to our soon-to-be high school graduates.
Parents/guardians can become involved in our students' school lives by:
- Checking agendas and school websites for updates
- Helping with homework and discussing new learning
- Reading and writing together at home
- Communicating with teachers
- Supporting school events and initiatives
- Talking about their high expectations for success at school with their children
Another way for parents/ guardians to become involved is to participate in their school's School Community Council (SCC). The SCC is made up of parents, school staff, students and community members who work together to support student achievement. If parents or community members wish to be part of the SCC, please visit the school office for more information in early September.
The Parents as Partners Conference is another opportunity for Durham families, staff and community to network and explore parenting and learning ideas. Lenore Skenazy, journalist, author and television host, will be the keynote speaker at this conference coming up on Saturday, October 27th, 2012. Registration information will be available on the DDSB website as of September 6th, 2012. Register soon!