The Adult Non-Credit Language Training Program is funded by the Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration (MCI) to offer English as Second Language (ESL) training programs to adult immigrants.
Learners enroll in language training with a wide variety of goals in mind, including improving their language skills for daily life, for the labour market or to pursue higher education. New learners must be assessed for their language proficiency levels at local assessment centres in order to select from a list of courses meeting their needs. This tuition-free language training is available to eligible learners.
An eligible learner is an adult immigrant (born outside of Canada) currently residing in Ontario:
- Whose first language is not English; and,
- Who is eighteen years old, or an early school leaver,
- has completed his/her high school diploma and is not a day school pupil enrolled in any publicly supported day school in Ontario; and,
Is one of the following;
- a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, Convention refugee or a refugee claimant; or
- a provincial nominee, or their dependant, who has been approved through the Opportunities Ontario: Provincial Nominee Program but has not yet been processed to receive permanent resident status; or
- a temporary foreign worker, or their dependant, who has been approved through the Canadian Experience Class but has not yet been processed to receive permanent resident status; or
- approved as a foreign domestic worker admitted under the Live-In Caregiver Program.
Language training is catered to individual learner needs and based on the principles of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) and Portfolio Based Language Assessment, using authentic language learning tasks.
Three general English as a Second Language classes will be held – Canada Benchmark Level (CLB) L-2, CLB 3-4 and CLB 5-7. There are no summer LINC classes. Classes run Tuesday July 3, 2018 to Friday July 27, 2018; 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. Classes are offered at the following locations;
|EA Lovell ACEC (Durham Continuing Education)||Durham Continuing Education|
|120 Centre St. S.|
Oshawa, ON L1H 4A3
|1400 Bayly St. Unit #1|
Pickering, ON L1W 3R2
For further information and/or to register, please call;
Oshawa classes – 905.440.4498 Pickering classes – 905.831.3118
- No cost to returning students. New students pay a one-time, non-refundable material fee of $45.
- Childcare is not available for summer programs.
- Parking is available – please consult with instructor for parking details.