J. Clarke Richardson was a noted local educator whose contribution to local education and the Ajax community were recognized by having a school named in his honour.
Mr. Richardson was a respected educator who was the Principal of Pickering High School (the town of Ajax) in 1958. He also became the Superintendent of Secondary Schools for the Pickering District High School Board which ran Ajax High School, Pickering High School and Dunbarton High School. In 1969 he became the Superintendent of Operations for the then new Ontario County Board which included all of the Ajax High Schools.
Mr. Richardson was an active community member involved in organizations such as the Lion's Club and Rotary. During his years of involvement in education he was instrumental in making it possible for students to continue their education by helping out financially. Mr. Richardson was well thought of by his colleagues and his students.
Opened in September of 2002, J. Clarke Richardson Collegiate is part of the innovative Ajax Multi-Use School Project which combines the high schools of the Durham DSB (J. Clarke Richardson Collegiate) and the Durham Catholic DSB (Notre Dame CSS) along with a shared cafeteria, theatre and main sports field into one large campus. Richardson Collegiate occupies the southern portion of the site while Notre Dame occupies the northern portion. The schools are separated on the inside by the shared cafeteria and theatre. The complex accommodates approximately 3,000 students plus 250 staff in total, yet the schools operate in isolation from each other so the feeling is that of a regular, large high school. The shared facilities includes a 500 seat theatre, a food court that can seat 1,000 persons and the irrigated outdoor sports field. The Richardson culinary arts program operates out of a state of the art kitchen.
The accessibility to students and staff is excellent and traffic enters the Richardson side of the site via a signaled intersections on Harwood Avenue where traffic forms a loop to the south entry doors and there is access to a 280 car parking lot. There is a front drop-off point via a lay-by on Harwood Avenue used by Ajax public buses and private cars.
J. Clarke Richardson Collegiate is a beautiful facility with state of the art amenities which include:
- LED projectors in every classroom for richer, more engaging multi-media content;
- a library that is almost 1400 m2 (15 000 ft2), has 3 instructional areas and 60 computers;
- a large hotel sized commercial kitchen;
- a dramatic arts room with audience seating for 150 people;
- computer labs and laptop carts for student-driven inquiry;
- one and half gyms with large capacity seating in the main gym;
- weightroom, spin-bike room, and a Crossfit-type fitness room;
- dance studio;
- irrigated main (shared) and practice fields;
- a music instruction area which includes two high ceiling music rooms and sound-proof practice rooms.
- Applecroft Public School
- Da Vinci Public School
- Dr. Roberta Bondar Public School
- Lester B. Pearson Public School
- Nottingham Public School
- Romeo Dallaire Public School
- Terry Fox Public School
- Valleyview Public School
Streets in Boundary Area
Click here to access the DDSB school boundaries website