Skip to main content
District HomeStaff PortalStudent Mobile Campus Email
Pine Ridge Secondary School
We always do our best
EcoSchools
Pine Ridge has been very busy during the 2017-2018 school year with several environmental and community initiatives.


Hats, Mittens and Scarves Drive

IMPACT, the Yearbook class and the Muslim Student Association (MSA) helped to collect hats, mitts, gloves and scarves for those in need in our community. A box was put in each homeroom in December and students from these groups came to collect the donations. Over 200 items were collected and sorted by students. This drive contributes both environmentally and socially, as these items are gently used and can be reused by those in need. The items were donated to The Refuge Youth Outreach Centre in Oshawa for homeless youths. 

MittenDrive.jpg

Coat Drive

Pine Ridge acted as the community drop off centre for Programs Honouring Indigenous People. This initiative was led by staff member Mrs. Agraso. Pine Ridge students volunteered to help sort, collect and box the coats. These volunteer students packed up over 77 boxes of coats to ship to Northern Saskatchewan Indigenous communities. 

CoatDrive1.jpg

Battery Drive

Thanks to the donations from Pine Ridge staff and students, Green Ridge was able to collect 42.8 lbs of batteries for recycling. Batteries contain hazardous metals such as lead, mercury, manganese, and lithium, and therefore need to be properly disposed of so that these metals do not seep into the ground when dumped in landfills, or contribute to atmospheric pollution when incinerated. Special thanks to Head of Library Mrs. Bolsonello for assisting Green Ridge with the battery drive, and helping us take care of our environment!  The Battery Drive is continuing throughout the year, and used batteries may be dropped off at the library.

BatteryDrive.jpg

Student Activitists

In December in a special presentation, Pine Ridge student Jaclyn Holdsworth spoke to students about her Me to We trip to Kenya and Pickering resident Sal Dema spoke about his volunteer Pick Waste program. Both of these students inspired their peers to make a difference. Inspiration, commitment, action! What will you do next year? 

Speakers.jpg

Bring Back the Salmon!

Mr. Blanchfield's Outdoor Education classes are taking part in Bring Back the Salmon. The class has 100 eggs in a tank, which they will monitor until May 23rd, when they will be released.SalmonLogo.png

On Thursday, April 5, students learned more about the process of returning a populaton of Atlantic Salmon to Duffins Creek.  A guest speaker taught the class about the Atlantic salmon species, their history in Ontario, and the restoration efforts to bring back a healthy and self-sustaining population to Lake Ontario. Students also learned about the importance of clean water for healthy fish populations and habitat restoration.  What an awesome opportunity to contribute to our local environment!

Salmon3.jpg

Garden Clean-Up

Come out on Tuesday, May 1, 2018 and help us clean up the garden for the spring, getting the garden beds ready for new native flowers and vegetable gardens on Tues May 1st.  Community hours are available.  Anyone who is interested in taking part should meet in Room 3036 by 2:15 p.m.

EcoSchools-Garden.jpg

Recycling and Garbage Walkabout Results - Tuesday, April 24, 2018

On Tuesday, April 24, Pine Ridge students surveyed garbage and recycling bins within the school, to see if people are sorting their material properly.  Our results:

  • 57% of the garbage cans were pure garbage, and the other 43% had things that could have been recycled.
  • 55% of the recycling bins had only recycling.

Did you know?

  • The average student creates 23 kg of garbage each year
  • The average student creates 3.1 kg of recycling each year
  • We are only recycling 11% of the waste from the school

While our results show potential, we would like to remind all Pumas to ensure that only garbage goes in the garbage cans, only recyclables in the blue bins, and that you recycle whenever possible.  Thanks for helping us to protect the environment!

Want to Learn More?

Any interested students are welcome to join our Green Ridge Environmental Club, volunteer for local initiatives, and/or to do their part through simply actions and choices in their daily lives, such as recycling, reusing and reducing waste wherever possible.