Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition

Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) allows students to earn high school credits for knowledge gained outside the classroom. You can earn these credits through either the challenge process or mature PLAR. The Durham District School Board (DDSB) Credential Centre will assess your learning and compare it to the curriculum standards.

Take part in an assessment

Talk with your Guidance department or call the Credential Centre at 905-436-3211 to begin the PLAR process.

PLAR requirements for student under the age of 18:  PPM 129

In order to receive a prior learning credit, you:

  • Can only challenge credits that you have not attempted or completed
  • Only get one attempt to challenge a specific credit
  • Can only challenge grade 10, 11 or 12 courses (regardless of your current grade)
  • Can only receive a maximum of 4 credits through the challenge process
  • Can only receive 2 challenge credits in the same subject area

PLAR is not meant to replace classroom learning.

PLAR requirements for mature students:  PPM 132

A mature student is a student who is at least 18 years of age on or after January 1st of the current school year and who is enrolled in a program for the purpose of obtaining an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD).

Mature students may be eligible to earn credits through either the equivalency or the challenge process.  They may be able to earn credits by:

  • Participating in subject-based assessments to grant grade 9 or 10 credits.
  • Having their credentials or other documentation evaluated to grant equivalency credits for grade 11 or 12.
  • Having their prior learning or experiences evaluated using assessments to grant a specific grade 11 or 12 credit.
  • Challenging a course previously failed as long as a credit in a higher grade level in the discipline has not been earned.

Take part in an assessment

Talk with your Guidance department or call the Credential Centre at 905-436-3211 to explore Mature PLAR.

Out of province credits

If you have earned high school credits in another province, you will need to meet with the Credential Centre to evaluate your previous credits. To have your credits assessed:

  • Register with a DDSB secondary school
  • Meet with the Guidance department at your school
  • Attend an appointment with the Credential Centre
  • Provide any necessary documents for the assessment

For further information call 905-436-3211.